Optimization OR / SD
Design, layout and use of an Operation Department
More than ever before OR, renovation and new construction projects (OR & Technic) are characterized by a great need for communication between the client, the architect and the consultant of the technical installations.
From the release of a national "Air Treatment for the Operation Department - Management Plan", more attention has been paid to the integral design of the operation department with clear zoning and the (air) technical design of operating rooms.
In addition, the design, maintenance, optimal (hygienic) use and management of this expensive facility have also become a policy spearhead.
The development of integrated OR concepts
The publication "Development of Integrated Operating Concepts" (A.P. de Block, 2006, 2015) can form a basis for discussion and decision-making with regard to the renovation or new construction of operating units. This way, unnecessary discussions and meetings can be avoided during the course of the construction process.
This publication mainly emphasizes the joint efforts of designers and users and a number of new developments are shown in the field of designing and (air-technical) design of new Operation Departments and operating theaters.
Design, organization and use of a Sterilization Department (SD) and Scope Cleaning and Disinfection Department (SCDD)
As with the Operations Department, the design, layout, optimal (hygienic) use and management of the SD / SCDD facility are also subject to stricter requirements.
The correct architectural design, technical installations, equipment with equipment, but above all good logistics within the SD / SCDD itself and with other departments are very important.
However, when renovating or building a new SD / SCDD, it appears that the architectural concept is often leading in the discussion about the use of this facility. Users usually experience this as oppressive, since it is only possible to think about the use of the spaces if they have been established, more or less on the basis of outdated standards and available space. This means there are fewer options for innovative ideas.
Another approach is to jointly prepare a user plan in advance based on logistical and hygienic principles. In short, ask the question: "how will work be done in the new situation, with which means, and which spaces / dimensions are required for this?"
Subsequently, the starting points are established, the program of requirements is drawn up, links are sought with existing guidelines (new VCCN guideline for the SD and the SFERD guideline for the SD) and a first sketch design is made.
Competence Expert Alex de Block can fulfill an initiating, mediating and executive role in the following considerations. The guiding principle is to work out, together with the client and based on an inventory and analysis of the current situation, innovative ideas and developments into a total concept:
- renovation, new construction or (re) furnishing of your SD / SCDD
- merging or extending the SD with a Central Scope Cleaning and Disinfection (SCDD)
- a reorganization of all logistics flows with regard to the SD / SCDD?
- perform an inventory and risk analysis within your SD / SCDD and of the logistics flows
- let an independent, external expert participate in the further development and implementation of your plans
Quick Scan and Risk Analysis
For each Operation Department (OR), Sterilization Department (SD) and Central Scope Cleaning and Disinfection (SCDD), the processes that (may) affect microbial safety are mapped and described. This can be done by performing a Quick Scan (limited framework) or by performing an inventory and risk analysis (extensive) of the current situation.
Below you will find a general outline of the activities that Alex de Block can perform to assess your current operating theater and SD / SCDD and if necessary to 'update' it:
- Investigation, inventory and assessment of the current situation on site, concerning a general visual inspection, reports, layout / zoning, structural condition, (technical) design and (air) technical installations, behavior, discipline, logistics and (logistical) working method within the department
- Drawing up a risk analysis and naming so-called influencing factors within the OR and the SD / SCDD.
- Testing risk analysis against the elements mentioned in the relevant guidelines and, if necessary, advising on proposals for improvement based on this for the short, medium and long term.
- Advising on structural, installation-technical and process-related adjustments based on improvement proposals.
- The execution of measurements to classify the OR and SD / SCDD to a performance level in accordance with the applicable guidelines.